Tuesday, September 6, 2011

Dollhouses and Doughnuts

When I was a kid I begged and begged for a dollhouse. So for Christmas one year Santa brought me a kit to build my own. And I did and it took about a year to construct it. And then I saved every penny to decorate and furnish it. And was forced to use old wallpaper from our Alabama house instead of the store-bought like I wanted. Well, then late teenager-hood came and I lost interest. It ended up in storage in the basement and it sat there for years until my parents brought it to me a few years ago.

Fast-forward to the present and the boys have been begging me to take it down to look at it. I never really saw the purpose, until it occured to me that I do indeed have a little girl now! So we took it down, dusted it, took out all of the furniture (only a few broken pieces) and the kids had a blast. You have no idea how much it melted my heart to see Eliza playing with it. Phil came in and watched me oggling Eliza and said, "this must be the feeling I feel when I play sports with the boys." And I think he's right!

So now that I can afford to I am finishing this little house. I spent hours finishing the wall-papering and while visiting my parents in Alabama got a good deal on wood flooring. I feel pretty dorky, but I feel like I'm living out my dreams as a child! I will say this house taught me patience and money budgeting! And yes-my boys like to play w/ the house-it's their soldiers house. I just told them, that like our house, no rough-housing!! :)

Our family has a Boston Cream Doughnut obsession. We just do. It's a problem.
They makes us happy!
All of us!
Doesn't it look like she has a perfect moustache and goatee?

1 comment:

Mortensen Baby Farm said...

Hello! I need more close ups of the doll house!!!