Saturday, April 16, 2011

Oh, to be down on the farm again

I just love Howell Living Farm. We went there last Saturday for some quiet, good old-fashioned fun. It was so relaxing I never wanted to leave. I think I am meant to live on a big plot of land right near a farm so I can have access to one any time I want. I'd say I'd like to live on a farm, but then you have to work it ALL the time, not just when you want your fix!!
 Look at all the open space! In the fence were 8 little lambs. Just darling.
 We came prepared w/ rain boots and the kids splashed forever in the puddles.
 See Ty? Who needs a DS? :)
 Crossing the little creek to head up to see all the animals in the barns.
 This was where we learned Chase's boots have holes in them. I can't imagine how. he only wears them every single day of his life!
 Scoping out the building. This farm works as if it's from I believe the early 1900's. All the ploughs are horse-pulled, no power tools, etc. Here they were taking these logs and making them into wooden planks.
 This cow was hilarious. It mooed and mooed. Is that how you spell mooed? Anyway. We couldn't stop laughing.
 Phil and Chase hung out at the bee boxes for a while. That day they were collecting honey from the boxes. But all the swarming bees freaked out Eliza and Ty so we went to check out Bessie. That's not her name, I made that up. But Chase loved all the bees.
 The kids checking out the piglets. They are so cute when they're younger.
 Phil snapping shots of his girl. I love this guy in teh background. He's always here and can tell you anything about this farm. A wealth of knowledge.

 We were able to help made feed for the animals. They dry out the corn cobs and then you pick off the kernels. They grind it up to feed the pigs and chickens.
 The kids loved doing this. Especially Chase. We coudln't get him away from it. He totally could swing it on a farm. Maybe he was supposed to be a pioneer. But they didn't have movies so it's a tough call.
 We went into this warm cozy barn to look at all the freshly hatched chicks. They too are so cute when they are small. I guess humans are the same. I was a super cute baby. Puberty hit and let's just say, well, let's not say...
 This just kills me. We had a picnic and these 2 ran off to check out these birds. We look over and Chase has his arm around her. He's so protective of her. I hope it continues!

 If the boys are around, Eliza is not too far off!

No comments: