Tuesday, March 8, 2011

Deep Thoughts

I love Deep Thoughts by Jack Handy from Saturday Night Live. This post has nothing to do w/ that-just a sidebar.

Anyway. I just got finished watching "Guess Who's Coming to Dinner" w/ my namesake of sorts Sidney Poitier. It's about a white girl and black man who are telling their parents they are getting married. And it got me thinking.

I hope my kids know that I personally do not care who they marry. Well, that's not true. I want them to marry someone of the opposite sex. But I don't care what race they are. I really don't. As long as they are happy. I want them to know it can complicate their lives and cause conflict, but that it's not an impossibility. I married someone of a different faith and that was a huge struggle for us in the beginning. And I'm sure it's the same for someone of a different culture. But things have worked out swimmingly for us so there you go!

A few months ago Tyler approached me w/ this. He'd been told "on the bus" (i hate that bus) that if a girl has different colored skin you can't marry her. He seemed a little perplexed by this and rightfully so. So we had a whole discussion about making sure she was really nice to him, etc. etc. And Ty also acknowledged that he only wanted to marry a girl if she was a Mormon. Makes it neat and easier-trust me!

So this is "for the record" I guess. I want my kids to always know that I'll support them in who they are dating/marry as long as they are good people. No crazy psychos allowed. But those came in all colors anyway.

And p.s. this all seems so dang early to be talking about this stuff w/ my 7 year old. It really is true that kids are growing up way faster these days.

No comments: