Wednesday, December 26, 2007

My Cute Grandpa

On Christmas Eve my sweet grandpa LeGrande was finally able to pass away and leave all his ailments behind. I am of course very sad he's gone, but also feel so happy he's returned to all his loved ones that went before him. He's actually got two wives he outlived and I know he missed them very much and I know their reunion must have been awesome! His first wife was Patty and she died from breast cancer not too many years after marrying and having 2 daughters. My Grandma Shirley was also widowed when my grandpa was killed leaving her as a single mother to my dad. And then Brady Bunch style they found each other and combined families and had 3 more children. Because my family moved around alot I often felt disconnected from my grandparents, but they always made the effort to call, write and visit when they could. He served as Bishop for man years and he and my grandma served a mission together. I am grateful they both always displayed how much they loved the Lord and the importance of family. I thank my grandpa for teaching my dad all he knows about cars, carpentry, plumbing, electric, boating, camping, etc. I know that I am who I am b/c my dad was schooled by the master! My grandpa built the house they lived in for decades (shag carpets and all!) before they eventually went into a retirement facility. I remember my grandpa wasn't super lovey dovey, so when he did hug and cuddle me it was special. He was witty and had a great smile (it usually looked like he was keeping a secret or something from you.) I loved their house b/c the house was built on an old orchard and they had several fruit trees and an awesome garden. They canned their food and in college I loved to "shop" in their canning room. Although b/c of distance I haven't seen my grandpa for several years, I will miss just knowing he was there. I am so happy he's not suffering anymore and I know that I will see him again someday. I feel awful I can't make it to the funeral b/c the flights to Utah are out of control expensive, but I hope he'll understand. I will be thinking of him and all my family together celebrating his life.
I love you!!

5 comments:

Anonymous said...

So sorry to hear about your Grandpa. I hope you find comfort in knowing that he is no longer suffering and has been reunited with family members that passed before him...and I hope the memories you have of the times you did share can make you smile for years to come.

Anonymous said...

And, you should cut your hair again...it looks adorable in that picture.

Sherwoods said...

I am sorry to hear that it was on Christmas Eve. But at least he is happy and now with wives and great-grandson!

Jackie said...

He was a stud, wasn't he? I'm happy he was such a great Grandpa. :)

Love your face (especially with that cute hair cut),
Jackie

LizzyP said...

I'll be thinking about you while you're feeling faraway. What a great thing ist is to have such great examples in our families.