Thursday, September 27, 2012

PALMYRA, NY

A few days after we got home from Colorado we drove up to Palmyra, NY where there are a lot of significant church historical sites. We met up w/ some friends, the Carpenters, and had great time! In the back left corner you can see the steeple of the Palmyra Temple.
 This was I believe the farmhouse where Joseph and Emma Smith lived. I wish I'd blogged this weeks ago so I didn't forget!!
 Chase, Eliza and Dylan hanging outside Joseph Smith's childhood home.
 Outside Joseph Smith's childhood home. I think it was 7 kids that lived in this tiny home!

 Ty

 Eliza and Dylan in the Sacred Grove.
 Inside the printing press in downtown Palmyra where the Book of Mormon was first printed.
 Look close-it's Chase's name! This is the area where each word was placed for each page.

The Printer's Proof Sheet of the Book of Mormon 
 There were tons of protesters outside of here. It really ticked my kids off and they wanted to yell at everyone. We had to tell them that they have that right, but that it is mean! I was afraid Chase was going to run full force into somebody and attack them. ha!
 Palmyra Temple. The grounds were gorgeous.
 Eliza's body language in this pic is funny.

 B/c it was the 75th anniversary of the Hill Cumorah Pageant there were booths set up w/ props from the pageant. The kids loved it. A couple in our ward used to live in upstate NY and were in the Pageant for years so they gave us somewhat of a "backstage pass." This is Brother Roehrig in the background!
 The kids sitting waiting for night to come for Pageant to begin. That's the Hill Cumorah in the background!
 Pageant was a great experience and the kids really enjoyed it. Eliza was obsessed w/ seeing Jesus Christ and kept asking "is that him?" I could tell she was falling asleep (it doesn't start until 9:00) and so I when Abinidai came out I said that was Jesus. Luckily she fell asleep before he was burned at the stake!!
 Our hotel was near a park w/ this beautiful lake. We had fun feeding the seagulls goldfish crackers.


 This pic makes me laugh b/c this is right before Phil slipped and almost fell into the lake. ha!

 This trip was quiet, fun family time and I'm glad we finally made it there!

1 comment:

Jackie said...

I miss Palmyra. Take us next time, eh?