Tuesday, February 28, 2012

THE PLAY KITCHEN-A story of blood, sweat and tears

We've had a plastic play kitchen for the kids since Ty was 3 years old. And I was fine with it, until I started seeing all of these adorable play kitchens people had made from an old entertainment center. So with Eliza's birthday coming I got to work.

I found this beast on freecycle.org (for free of course) and the guy even delivered it to us!

 In January w/ the crazy warm weather we got to work on it. We cut the top off and shortened the height, added wainescot to the back and cut a hole for the "sink."
 After working hard you just need a Wendy's burger.
 Here she is-all sanded and ready to be primed and painted!
 And what better place than the livingroom? We tried to take it to the basement, but it was too big and we literally almost killed ourselves. I had several holes to patch on the stairway. Oh, well...
 The "tile" top. I used automotive pin striping to tape it off and it worked perfectly! Notice the cute little fridge? Stainless steel appliances of course!
 Also on freecycle.org were all the burners, sink and fridge parts. Someone had gotten replacement parts and didn't need all of them for their kitchen so I got them for freesies! Awesome!
 Addition of the oven door. I cut a hole w/ my brand new jig-saw and added plexi-glass.
 And she's done! This is super easy to make if you have 1 1/2 months, lots of tools and patience! Ha!
 The picture in the "window" is one my great-aunt Martha painted for my Grandma Adeline when she was a school teacher. There are several more of them that make up a little story. We figure it's about 75 years old. And the faucet was a cheapy from Home Depot.
 the entertainment center was lighted, so I kept it. The kids think it's quite fancy. This original painting was done by Ty and Eliza. The frame was from the thrift store.
 Inside the oven. I added the rope so the kids can't stand on the door and break it.
 Inside our fridge. So roomy. :)

 And here the kids are on Eliza's birthday morning. They love it! And they'd better long after the cuts on my hands heal!

7 comments:

Anonymous said...

cyd, you never cease to amaze me. this is the cutest play kitchen ever! LOVE the tile countertop!

Melanie Herway said...

I looks amazing!! I wish I had your patience. I don't think it would be "easy" for me :)

Dalene said...

That is the CUTEST play kitchen I have ever seen. You are seriously AMAZING. I don't have even an ounce of the patience one would need for that project. LOVE the colors, too.

Dalene said...

PS Even Brian is super impressed, and that's not easy to do. :-) I need to stop showing him the amazing things other people do. He'll figure out what a bum deal he got. :-)

Beth said...

how many times do I have to say it? you are so freakishly amazing it's embarassing how craft deficient I am. i love everthing about it, soooooo coool! i want to play with it!

Mom said...

No freezer?

Anonymous said...

You may find plenty of myths that talk about the cons of wood countertops like staining, scratching and warping. However, you can prevent such things happening to your wooden countertops by varnishing it with a high quality mineral oil. This will prevent any damage to your wooden countertops.