Saturday, February 19, 2011

The Birds!

Phil just watched Alfred Hitchcock's "The Birds" for the first time in it's entirety the other night. This has nothing to do with this post, but figured this was noteworthy.
Back to business. After watching some friends kids the other day I decided I needed a birdfeeder. See-I was standing at their kitchen window rinsing some dishes and their birdfeeder was swarming w/ a variety of birds. And it just made me smile. The 3 kids and I sat there very entertained for what felt like a long time. And then i thought of my own childhood-we always had a birdfeeder. And my mom knows the names of all the birds and at one time I'm sure I did. And my kids need that experience. I haven't done it b/c I don't like the seed everywhere and the poop all over the deck, but I figured birds are hungry in the winter so I'll feed them until spring-then back the birdfeeder goes into the garage.

ANYWAY. So I got one, hung it up and waited. It only took about 2 hours before our own birdfeeder was swarming. It was so fun and Chase and I were giddy as could be. I picked up Ty from the bus and he was staring up at the trees in our backyard. He's yelling look-look! And there was a huge honkin' Hawk or something. He was ALSO thrilled by the birdfeeder. I'd brought his next meal conveniently to him! Look at those talons!

We also now have squirrels. Tons of them. I know I should have gotten a squirrel-free house, but we'll figure it out. The other day the kids and I spent an afternoon up in Eliza's bedroom window shooting them with nerf guns. My boys have awesome aim and nailed those nasty rodents. Only problem is they don't care and keep coming back.


3 comments:

Jackie said...

I've thought about getting a bird feeder, but this makes me not so sure I want it!

Also,
1. Hawks scare me. Must be the talons and the beady eyes.
2. Be sure to keep the squirrels out of your dryer.

Mortensen Baby Farm said...

We had a hawk swoop down and take one of our kittens once...poor kitty! He was just a few weeks old too!

Nothing like nature to entertain you though...LOVE it!

Christanne said...

Hey--I even know what it is: red tailed hawk.