Monday, June 30, 2008

Have you ever flagged someone down on the road?


I have. Today. And no I wasn't having car problems. It all began on the way to my sisters place to go swimming. Tyler said, "mom there's a spider in the car." And it's big and black and scary. Sure enough, there the sucker was, above my head. Now to say I am afraid of spiders is an understatement. (Sara-remember the spider at my parents? I refer to that as the spider incident of 97) So I panicked, pulled the car over to the nearest road, which was the entrance to the college. I jumped out and took off my flip flop and just stared at its hideousness. It suddenly occured to me that I couldn't do it. I coudln't get close enough to kill it. Plus it would smoosh all over my ceiling or fall onto my Chasey. Now both kids (who are still buckled in) are screaming and crying and staring at it. Chase is yelling "bee! bee! bee!" I felt awful b/c my maternal instincts were being overtaken by the fear. I was also thinking of my dad saying, "think of you as a water tower to the spider." I couldn't and wouldn't do it. So I turned and saw a car coming. The next thing I knew my arm was in the arm. Much like flagging down a taxi. It's a woman and her 15 year old son. I tell them, "hi, this is crazy but..." After staring at me like I had escaped some mental ward, the boy got out and scooped it out onto a magazine. His remark was "wow this is big. Look it even has green eyes." I was shaking and this is when I realized I may officially be arachnaphobic.

11 comments:

LizzyP said...

I would have never picked YOU as someone scared of spiders, Cyd. But just so you know, you're not alone. My friend totalled her brand-spanking-new Jeep Wrangler because their was a spider dangling from the rear view mirror. I'm glad you didn't do that to your van.

http://elderwolfedr.blogspot.com said...

How funny that it took a spider to get you to blog. Your fear moved you to action. I pity your situation and would of probably done the same thing. Gratefully I have Jeff around to save me from my fear. He is a great kid!!

Suggestion: Train Chasey (because we all know Tyler is a lost cause in this department) to kill spiders. Good luck!

the meyersons said...

Wait, you are just realizing this??

Best of luck in your recovery from this horrendous incident. My thoughts are with you.

Mortensen Baby Farm said...

Son of a Bear!!!! Just reading this made me cover my neck! I freakin loathe spiders!!!! I do love how Tyler casually tells you there is a spider above your head! I can just see you ducking and still trying to drive! EEEEK!

Remember my spider incident of '93 when Uncle Lee mailed me a live trantula? Remember that??? The eyes were not green, but black and I remember lots of hairs and legs and...oh great I am getting dizzy again...

Sherwoods said...

Okay, I am sitting here cracking up right now! Although, I would have been paralyzed with fear as well. Thanks for the laugh Cyd! I may have to link this to my blog too...

Unknown said...

oh man, i would have done the same thing, in fact back in high school my friend laura and i were driving and had a spider in the car and freaked...we pulled into a praking lot and their was a cop their...and yes he came to see what the commotion was all about. I almost died. I know I am aracnaphobic!

Stacey said...

Cyd -
I totally understand as I had a similar moment on Friday. I am deathly afraid of crickets (thanks to my brothers locking my down in a basement with them). We were getting ready for showers and Kyle found a baby cricket in the shower. I gathered up the courage to deal with it and went in search of a shoe to smoosh it with. Having a hard time finding the right shoe...I didn't want to miss and have it hop up at me...Annie bends down and kills it with her bare hand. All I could think is here is my 2 year old who has killed a cricket and I now have a little killer on my hands!

Unknown said...

I do remember when we had a spider at the 5 Montgomery house and Brent put it in the freezer. You and I were running around like little kids screaming when that thing took off running across the carpet. I get shivers just thinking about it again.

Hope you recover from this horrible incident. Still can't quite believe you flagged down a car. That is freakin' hilarious!!

Jennie said...

Cydney, Liz sent me your blog address and I am cracking up...you are so funny! And by the way, I would have done the SAME thing with the spider scenario!

Anonymous said...

I am cracking up over here. I can just see you now. Of course this had to happen when you were husband-less. You do need to train Chase. Also, I do recall the spider incident of '97. Hysterical and frightening all at the same time!!!

Beth said...

That is so funny! I'm proud of you for asking for help. I wish you had a picture of the faces of the people you flagged down as you were explaining your situation, now that would have been priceless!